The following post-operative instructions should be closely followed to ensure proper recovery from your liposuction procedure:
- Call our office on the first working day after your procedure to make an appointment for your postoperative visit.
- Start showering after your first appointment in the office.
- Make arrangements for someone to bring you to the office for your first appointment to see Dr. Desman since you will not be able to drive for approximately five days after surgery.
- Wear the compression garment 24 hours a day for one month after your operation.
- While taking pain medication, drink at least eight glasses of water a day and take a stool softener to help decrease the chances of constipation.
- Sleep on your back for two weeks
- Bruising may last as long as six to eight weeks following surgery, depending on the nature of your liposuction procedure. If pain exceeds the coverage of your prescription, call our office.
- Keep all compression garments dry and clean until you visit for your first perioperative appointment.
- After you stop your pain medication, start with deep, firm massage to the areas that were operated on.
- Avoid strenuous activity for one month after surgery. This includes aerobics, weightlifting, tennis, and any other athletic activity which you normally participate in. Walking is permitted at two weeks.
- Do not resume sexual intercourse for three weeks.
- Your final result will not be seen for approximately six to nine months, as your skin will need to tighten up over the treated area(s). However, you will notice a significant improvement in your body contour and how clothes fit within several weeks.
Remember, we are here to help you. Do not hesitate to call if you have questions or concerns about your recovery.