Fat Transfer Northern Virginia
Fat Transfer is the process of taking unwanted fat from an area (or areas) of your body and re-injecting that fat into another area of your body. Also known as Fat Injection, Autologous Fat Transfer, and Fat Grafting, this process is useful if you desire added fullness to areas such as buttocks, hips, and certain areas of the face, including the lips, cheeks, nasolabial folds, jawline, and the lower eye area. Fat Transfer can also provide smoothing out of wrinkles in the skin of aging hands.
The process of Fat Transfer involves:
- Removal of the unwanted fat through liposuction
- Processing and separating the fat
- Re-injection of fat
But not all fat grafting procedures are created equally! Desirable and long-term results with Fat Transfer procedures depend not only a qualified physician, experienced in this procedure, but also depends on an integral part of the process that involves separating processing and separating the fat. Board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Eric Desman uses the revolutionary fat grafting system, PUREGRAFT.
(The following information has been provided by PUREGRAFT)
The fat grafting procedure has been around for decades, though always with history of mixed results. The amount of fat that would remain after the procedure would vary drastically, making fat grafting an unpopular choice.
Today, however, an improved technology called Puregraft exists which makes the fat grafting procedure and results more predictable than ever. The Puregraft System gently and efficiently cleans the fat tissue, removing the majority of blood and oil that are released from the liposuction. These components are known to affect how long the fat stays around, in other words, how permanent the result is. Reduction of oil and blood also minimizes inflammation, which leads to faster recovery times for the patient. Puregraft’s closed-system design is clean and sterile, eliminating the risk of contamination during the purification process.
The presence of blood within a fat graft can cause inflammation, tissue damage, and reduced graft retention. Removal of these contaminants is critical for an optimal outcome. Puregraft removes more than 97% of blood within the graft. Standard techniques contain more than 10x as many contaminants.
Fat Transfer FAQs
You may be a good candidate for fat transfer to the face if you are concerned about:
- Fine lines and Wrinkles
- Crows feet
- Under eye bags or Dark circles
- Worry and/or frown lines
- Hollow or Sunken cheeks
- Tired look
- Thin or Aging lips
Facial fat transfer can help correct and give an overall more youthful look to your face.
- added volume to buttocks
- added volume and contouring to hips
- smooth lines and wrinkles on hands
- added breast fullness
Here is general information on what you can expect with post-op recovery from a body contouring Fat Transfer procedure.
- Some discomfort and swellingYou will likely have some discomfort as well as some swelling during the immediate post op period. For a fat graft to be as successful as possible you’ll need to avoid stressing the fat injection area(s) for three weeks. It takes up to 4 days for the blood vessels to grow ito the fat grafts and another 2 or 3 days for the blood vessels to strengthen. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for the extracellular matrix surrounding the fat graft to reach enough strength to withstand minor stresses.
- Post op instructions for facial fat grafting include the following:
- some discomfort and swelling
- possible bruising at area of liposuction and area of fat injection
- possible surgical compression garment depending on the area of liposuction
- surgical tape or light surgical headwrap on facial areas for 5 days
- fat transfer to the buttocks requires avoiding stressing the area for several weeks. This means that you will likely be required to avoid sitting for long periods of time and may include the use of a donut like cushion for sitting.
- sleep on back with head elevated for the first week (for facial fat injections)
- usually return to work after 1 week
- return to light exercise after 2 weeks
- frequent follow up office visits during the first 2 months
As with any cosmetic surgery procedure there are risks and complications associated with fat transfers. Possible concerns include:
- irregular contours or uneven results from liposuction
- skin necrosis
- fat necrosis
- less than expected results
Dr. Desman will take every precaution to make sure you are comfortable during a facial fat or body fat transfer. We use a local anesthetic to numb both the donor and recipient areas.
Postoperative discomfort will last for two to three days until most of your swelling goes down. The rest of the swelling may take a week to resolve. Dr. Desman can supply you with pain medication as needed. You can immediately resume light activity after your fat transfer, but we recommend waiting at least a week until starting more strenuous activities.
Because the fat loses its blood supply when we take it out of your body, not all the cells will survive the transfer procedure. When re-injecting the fat into the recipient area, Dr. Desman is careful to make sure it develops a new blood supply, but there is always some amount of loss. In anticipation of this loss, Dr. Desman adds extra fat cells. However, you may need a refresher session after your first procedure.
In the best-case scenario, fat transfers are long-lasting when performed by a qualified surgeon.
The injections will not leave scars, but there can be a small, discreet scar at the liposuction site. Since the incisions required for liposuction are tiny, they heal nearly invisibly.
Dr. Desman has created beautiful results in all ages. The procedure can make people in their 30s and 40s look younger and more refreshed. For people in their 50s and 60s, Dr. Desman may recommend combining facial fat grafting with a surgical procedure such as a facelift to combat more advanced aging.
Before recommending a facial fat or body fat transfer, Dr. Desman will meet with you individually to discuss your specific goals for the procedure and what concerns you’re hoping to address. At this meeting, he will evaluate your skin quality and ask you questions about your health history to determine if you’re a good candidate for this treatment. To schedule your complimentary consultation, request one online, or call 703-634-4212.