Whether youâre enjoying one of our many services, working out, or anything else, we want you to look and feel your very best! We know that some of our patients are finding it challenging to maintain their workout routines while they are stuck at home.
When you live in an apartment, home workouts can be even trickier. For one thing, you likely have limited space to work with. Another issue is that you want to be a good neighbor and not make too much noise if you have paper-thin walls.
However, itâs possible to get fit and healthy without paying for an expensive gym membership. Take your at-home fitness routine to the next level with these no-equipment, apartment-friendly cardio moves.
1. Bicycle Crunches
Try this twist on the classic crunch if youâre looking for a way to target your entire core. With practice, you can vary your rep speed with this exercise to get your heart rate up and keep your muscles âguessingâ whatâs coming next.
- Lie on your back with your knees to your chest and your hands behind your head.
- Without arching your lower back, straighten your right leg while using your core muscles to bring your right elbow toward your left knee. Be careful not to pull on your neck as you do so.
- Repeat this move on the opposite side to complete one rep.
2. Mountain Climbers
This exercise hits multiple muscle groups- the shoulders, upper back, core, and hip flexors- while helping elevate your heart rate.
- Start in a high plank position, with your hands directly under your shoulders.
- Engage your core muscles to bring your right knee toward your chest and then repeat it on the left side. Keep switching legs, and pick up the pace until it looks like youâre running in a plank position. Be sure to stay light on your feet.
3. Plank Jacks
This move is an excellent all-around exercise for total body strength. The faster you repeat it, the more youâll get your heart rate pumping.
- Begin in a plank, with your arms straight, but slightly soft at the elbows.
- Like doing a jumping jack, jump your feet wide, then back together. Keep your hips steady, and donât let your buttocks rise toward the ceiling.
- Tip: If you need an easier, lower-impact modification, step your feet out and back instead of jumping.
4. Back Lunges
Get chiseled cheeks and sculpted thighs with these lunges.
- Start with your feet about hip-width apart. Take a generous step backward with your right leg.
- Bend both knees to a 90-degree angle. Make sure your left knee is directly over your ankle, not extended past your toes.
- Continue to alternate sides for at least 10 reps per leg. If you want a cardio challenge, speed up!
5. Triceps Dips
If your upper arms are a trouble spot for you, quickly tone them up with this no-nonsense exercise.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent and your hands shoulder-width apart.
- With your palms flat on the floor, push yourself up so that your arms are straight but not locked out.
- Gradually bend your arms to lower your body toward the floor until your elbows are at about a 90-degree angle.
- Repeat this move, using your triceps muscles (not your legs) to push your body weight up and down. Be careful not to hunch your shoulders.
- Tip: For a more advanced variation on this move, keep your legs straight instead of bent.
Love Your Body, Treat Yourself
Do these apartment-friendly exercises individually, or combine them into a circuit for an excellent total-body fat-burning workout. And if you still struggle with problem areas even after committing to a fitness regimen and eating a balanced diet, the Virginia Center for Plastic Surgery offers a wide range of surgical body contouring procedures to help you achieve your goals. To schedule your in-person or virtual consultation, contact us today!