Post-Operative Care for Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
Serving Alexandria, Northern Virginia, and Washington, DC
You will receive the following post-operative care instructions after your tummy tuck. It is important to follow them closely to ensure proper healing:
- If you haven’t done so already, call our Alexandria plastic surgery office the day after your tummy tuck to schedule your first follow-up visit with Dr. Desman. Our phone number is (703) 924-3144.
- You will not be able to drive for approximately ten days following your tummy tuck, so you will need to arrange for someone to bring you to our office for your first post-operative visit.
- Follow the drain care instructions you were given to manage your drain. The most important part of the process is to keep the collection bulb squeezed when you re-apply the cap. This is what creates the suction to remove more fluid. If you have any questions, please call our office at any time.
- All dressings, compression garments, and binders must stay on, dry, and clean until you are seen by Dr. Desman on your first post-operative visit. Dr. Desman will tell you when you can start showering.
- Your compression garment must be worn 24 hours a day for one full month after your surgery. Please sleep on your back until told otherwise.
- No exercising, lifting objects more than five pounds, or jogging is allowed for one full month following surgery. You may start walking one to two miles starting two weeks after surgery.
- Do not resume sexual intercourse until at least three weeks after surgery.
- Have your antibiotic and pain medication prescriptions filled, and begin taking it as prescribed as soon as possible.
Remember, we are here to help you. Do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions or concerns about your tummy tuck post-operative care.
Please contact our experienced plastic surgeon today to schedule your initial consultation at the Virginia Center for Plastic Surgery. We serve patients in Alexandria, Northern Virginia, and Washington, DC.