Post-op Care for Liposuction Northern Virginia
The following post-operative instructions should be closely followed to ensure proper recovery from your liposuction procedure:
- Call our Alexandria plastic surgery office on the first working day after surgery to make an appointment for your postoperative visit. Our phone number is 703-924-3144.
- You will start showering after your first appointment in the office.
- Make arrangements for someone to bring you to the office for your first appointment to see Dr. Desman since you will not be able to drive for approximately five days after surgery.
- The compression garment must be worn 24 hours a day for one full month after your surgery.
- While taking pain medication, drink at least eight glasses of water a day and take a stool softener to help decrease the chances of constipation.
- Please sleep on your back for two weeks.
- Bruising may last as long as six to eight weeks following surgery, depending on the nature of your liposuction procedure. If pain exceeds the coverage of your prescription, call our office.
- All dressings and compression garments must stay on, dry, and clean until you are seen by Dr. Desman on your first post-operative visit to our office.
- After you stop your pain medication, start with deep, firm massage to the areas that were operated on.
- No strenuous activity is allowed for one full month after surgery. This includes aerobics, weight lifting, tennis, and any other athletic activity which you normally participate in. Walking is permitted at two weeks.
- Do not resume sexual intercourse for three weeks.
- Your final result will not be seen for approximately six to nine months, as your skin will need to tighten up over the treated area(s). However, you will notice a significant improvement in your body contour and how clothes fit within several weeks.
Remember, we are here to help you. Do not hesitate to call if you have questions or concerns about your recovery.
Please contact our experienced plastic surgeon today to schedule your initial consultation. The Virginia Center for Plastic Surgery serves patients in Alexandria, Northern Virginia, and Washington, DC.