Rhinoplasty, Nose Surgery, Nose Job
Nose Surgery Specialists in Virginia serving Alexandria, Arlington, Springfield, Fairfax, Fairfax Coutny, & Washington DC
Rhinoplasty is a general term describing any surgery designed to reshape your nose. Rhinoplasties are used not only for cosmetic purposes, but to repair noses damaged by birth defect or injury, and to resolve breathing problems caused by deformities in the nose.
The nose consists of a number of interrelated structures, including bone, cartilage, and skin. Any given rhinoplasty procedure may consist of changes to one or more of these parts.
An individual procedure may consist of procedures to accomplish any of the following:
- Change the shape of the tip of your nose by adding, removing, or repositioning cartilage.
- Change the shape of the bridge of your nose by removing excess cartilage and bone from the bridge, or dorsal bone.
- Narrow the nostrils, by removing skin from the base of the nostrils and moving them closer together.
- Reduce the overall size of your nose, by removing tissue from the base of your nose or breaking and repositioning the bones in the nose.
- Increase the overall size of your nose, by adding cartilage, skin, or bone, either from a donor site somewhere else on the patient's body, or using synthetic material
- Change the angle of your nose, by trimming the septum, which is the thin membrane separating the nostrils.
"He does excellent work!" S.G
Open vs. Closed Rhinoplasty
There are two types of rhinoplasty procedure: Open and closed.
Open rhinoplasty is a procedure performed through a combination of incisions in the inside of your nose, and a small incision in the columella, the area between the nostrils. Open rhinoplasty affords much greater access to the area, as the surgeon is able to expose the bone and cartilage more fully, allowing for more complicated procedures and more precise adjustments.
Recovery times, swelling, and bruising are greater with open rhinoplasty procedures than they are with closed procedures.
Closed rhinoplasty is a procedure in which the incision is made on the inside of your nose. As such, closed rhinoplasty is an option only for procedures that can effectively be performed through the small, difficult to reach incision.
Recovery times, swelling, and bruising are less with closed rhinoplasty procedures, however structures are more difficult to see and work with due to the limited incisions.
You can have your rhinoplasty performed under local anesthesia and a light sedative, or under general anesthesia, depending on the procedure being performed.
You should discuss anesthesia choices with your Virginia plastic surgeon. Smaller procedures not involving bone work may be performed under local anesthesia. More involved procedures usually entail either heavy sedation or general anesthesia.
More Information on Rhinoplasty
For detailed information on rhinoplasty, see the topics below:
If you would like to discuss nose surgery options personally, Dr. Desman is available in Virginia and Washington DC for a rhinoplasty consultation.
Call 571-281-2522 to schedule your consultation or to set up a telephone consultation.
Our goal is to provide you with the highest quality cosmetic surgery care in the Northern Virginia and Washington DC region. Dr. Desman is committed to serving you through advanced training, dedication to perfection and unmatched personal care.