Silicone Breast Implants Northern Virginia
Dr. Desman uses silicone filled breast implants for breast augmentation.
Virginia breast surgeon, Dr. Desman wants to give you information about silicone filled breast implants and their use in breast augmentation. On November 17, 2006, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved silicone-filled breast implants for use in breast augmentation, reconstruction and revision surgery. This approval was for specific silicone filled breast implants made by Mentor and Allergan (formerly Inamed). Dr. Desman has completed both the Mentor and Allergan silicone filled breast implant training and certification requirements, and is now offering silicone filled breast implants to his patients in Alexandria, Springfield/Kingstown, and greater Fairfax County.
Silicone filled breast implants have evolved over the last two decades. Today's implants have advanced technology with an enhanced safety profile due to several refinements in product design and manufacturing. A more cohesive gel technology is used today than previously. Further, today's implants also have a thicker shell, which contains an additional barrier layer that is distinct from earlier breast implant devices and is designed to withstand more than 25 times the force of a normal mammogram without failure.
However, the silicone filled breast implants approved are NOT the "gummy bear" form-stable types of silicone implants. These are still considered investigational, and are available only for research purposes.
Dr. Desman can use silicone filled breast implants for:
- Breast augmentation for women at least 22 years old. (Saline breast implants can be used in women as young as 18 years old.) Breast augmentation includes primary breast augmentation to increase the breast size, as well as revision surgery to correct or improve the result of a primary breast augmentation surgery.
- Breast reconstruction. Breast reconstruction includes primary reconstruction to replace breast tissue that has been removed due to cancer or trauma or that has failed to develop properly due to a severe breast abnormality. Breast reconstruction also includes revision surgery to correct or improve the result of a primary breast reconstruction surgery.
Some things you need to know:
- Breast implants are not lifetime devices. You will likely undergo breast implant removal with or without replacement over the course of your life.
- Many of the changes to your breast after implantation are irreversible. If you later choose to have your implants removed, you may experience unacceptable dimpling, puckering, wrinkling or other cosmetic changes of the breast.
- Because clinical exam in the most experienced hands can detect implant rupture in only 30% of women, recommended follow-up includes an MRI 3 years after surgery and every 2 years after that to check for implant rupture. These MRI exams may not be covered by your insurance carrier.
- While studies show that breastfeeding with silicone gel-filled breast implants is not harmful to your baby, they may affect your ability to breastfeed, either by reducing or eliminating milk production.
- Breast implants will not prevent your breast from sagging after pregnancy.
- With breast implants, routine screening mammography will be more difficult, and you will need to have additional views.
- For patients who have undergone breast implantation, health insurance premiums may increase, coverage may be dropped and future coverage may be denied. Treatment and complications may not be covered as well.
- Implants greater than 350 cc in volume have a greater risk for complications such as: implant extrusion, capsular contracture, hematoma, infection, visible skin wrinkling, and palpable implant folds.
- The top 3 complications at 4 years are reoperation (23.5%), capsular contracture III/IV (13.2%), and breast pain (8.2%).
- The top 3 reasons for reoperation at 4 years are: capsular contracture (28%), implant malposition (15%), and sagging/ptosis (14%).
If you have any questions or concerns about the new FDA approved silicone breast implants, contact our office to schedule a breast enlargement consultation where you will have the ability to speak directly with Dr. Desman on a personal basis.
Call 703-924-3144 to schedule your consultation or to set up a telephone consultation.
Our goal is to provide you with the highest quality cosmetic surgery care in the Northern Virginia and Washington DC region. Dr. Desman is committed to serving you through advanced training, dedication to perfection and unmatched personal care.